I have a new commission to paint. While I’m getting my materials ready, I’m reminded of how similar the process is between painting and writing.
For example, If I was going to list the stages of a new painting, from idea to sale it would be as follows. I call it the Impress model.
1) Coming up with a new original idea. (I)
2) Getting the materials together. (M)
3) Planning out the painting in pencil. (P) (Chapter plans, character plans etc)
4) Paint! (Type!)
5) Review the painting, does it need any further work. Add ink work. (R) (Edits)
6) The end product, where should I display it? What price should I put it at? (E) (Agents, publishers, marketing, publicity)
7) Sales! (SS) (Hopefully more than one!)
It’s not surprising the stages involved are so similar, what is surprising is to note how many other activities can follow the Impress model!